If you’re looking for a fun and patriotic recipe idea for a summer bbq or party, these Fruit Sparklers are a guaranteed crowd favorite! The perfect easy side dish for Memorial day or the Fourth of July!
When it comes to summer BBQ’s, especially parties for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, I’ve come to learn that people like to keep it simple. Throw some meat on the grill, cold drinks in the cooler, and a big assortment of cold salads and fresh fruit. That is my kind of summer bbq!
If you ever need food ideas for a summer party, don’t miss my roundup of the BEST sides dishes to bring to a bbq!
Every summer when watermelon comes in season my kids get excited to help make these “fruit sparklers”. We call them fruit sparklers because they remind us of holding firework sparklers during the summer holidays, and they’re patriotic with the watermelon stars on top. They are so simple but make a really fun and easy summer treat.
Slice the watermelon, vertically, into one inch slices. Use the star cookie cutter to cut stars from the flesh of the watermelon.
Thread 7-10 blueberries into the center of each bamboo skewer, leaving enough space at the end for someone to be able to comfortably hold it, and a space at the top for the watermelon star.
Add the watermelon star. Store, covered, in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 1 whole watermelon
- 16 ounces fresh blueberries
- Bamboo skewers
- Cut watermelon vertically into 1 inch thick slices
- Use a small star cookie cutter to cut out star shapes from the flesh of each watermelon round
- Thread 7-10 blueberries into the center of each bamboo skewer, leaving enough space at the end for someone to be able to comfortably hold it, and a space at the top for the watermelon star
- Place the watermelon star on top and set the fruit sparklers on a serving tray. Cover and refrigerate until ready to enjoy
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Share to your sosial media or save THIS PIN to your board on Pinterest!